Previous Honorary Members
R G Williams OBE
Former Secretary of the National Institute of Oceanography at Wormley and former Treasurer of the Challenger Society for Marine Science from 1956 - 1973. Sadly, Ray died in January of 2016 aged 92.
Ray Williams played a key role in managing the Institute’s finances and most notable in managing the funding the construction of the new (1962) RRS Discovery.
- Prof RI Currie
- Commander WJ Copenhagen
- Sir George Edward Raven Deacon FRS 1906-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1985 vol 31 pp 111-142)
- Dr Cyril Lucas, biography
- Sir Frederick Stratten Russell FRS 1897-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1986 vol 32 pp 461-493)
- JN Carruthers
- HO Bull
- Eric Henry Edwardes Havelock CB, CBE, OBE, FRSE
- Joseph Proudman FRS 1888-1975 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1976 vol 22 pp 319-333)
- William Thomas Calman FRS 1871-1952 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1952-1953 vol 8 pp 355-372) HU Sverdrup
- GP Bidder
- Dr HR Mill
- Mr HG Maurice
- Edgar Johnson Allen FRS 1866-1942 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1942-1944 vol 4 pp 357-367)
- HB Bigelow, biography
- E le Danois
- G Gilson
- B Helland-Hansen
- O Pettersson
- G Schott
- Swire (last surviving member of officers and scientific staff of HMS Challenger)
- Dr Johan Hjort FRS 1869-1948 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1950-1951 vol 7 pp 167-181)
- Prof Georg Ossian Sars
- H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco
- Prof Dr Karl Brandt
- Prof Dr Carl Chun
- Prof Max Wilhelm Carl Weber FRS 1852-1937 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1936-1938 vol 2 pp 347-355)
National Marine Equipment Pool: Autumn 2023 call (Round 4) for applications
Members of the UK marine science community are invited to submit applications for items of equipment to be considered for addition to the National Marine Equipment Pool (NMEP). Full details of the application process are available on the Marine Facilities Advisory Board (MFAB) website and questions to Jackie Pearson, MFAB Secretary, are welcome. The closing date for applications is Friday 15 December 2023.
Measurement Systems for 21st Century Oceanography
There is an imperative to measure the ocean in greater detail if we are to chart a sustainable future on this planet. The Net-Zero Oceanographic Capability Scoping Study (2021), commissioned by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), therefore undertook a detailed review of the sensor systems and networks that will be needed to meet anticipated marine science priorities. The Future Marine Research Infrastructure (FMRI) Programme is continuing this engagement to shape NERC’s strategic investment in measurement technologies that enable new and different science.
Exciting opportunity – MEDIN Chair
The Marine Environmental Data and Information Network (MEDIN) is seeking an outstanding new Chair, who can bring strategic leadership, enthusiasm and independent thinking to our Sponsors’ Board and Executive Team at a significant time in our development. Further information about the role can be found here.