The Challenger Medal
The award is for a distinguished UK marine scientist or other person who has made a single major contribution, or a sustained contribution, to the development of marine science, or whose innovation has opened up new perspectives.
The Challenger Medal is the premier award of the Society. The award is for a distinguished UK marine scientist or other person who has made a single major contribution, or a sustained contribution, to the development of marine science, or whose innovation has opened up new perspectives. The medal is presented on the occasion of the Challenger Lecture by the recipient during the Challenger Society biennial meeting.
1.Should be by letter explaining the reasons for nomination, quoting, where appropriate, relevant reference to scientific publications or other contributions. Nominations should be submitted by 31st January 2018 (awarded at 2018 Challenger Conference in Newcastle, September 2018).
2. A short curriculum vitae of the nominee is required.
3. The nomination should be submitted by a single proposer with support by one or preferably two others.
4. Nominations should be submitted to the President of The Society (firstname.lastname@example.org) (from whom advice may also be sought) by January 31st 2018.
5. Nominations and applications will be considered by the Council of the Challenger Society.
6. The recipient need not be a member of the Challenger Society.
7. Current Council members of the Society are ineligible for any award or prize.
COVID-19 Impact Survey
NOCA has announced a survey into the impacts of COVID-19 on the UK Marine Science Community
NOC - Net Zero Oceanographic Capability Project
NOC announces an ambitious scoping project....
Challenger Society 2020 Conference
Conference Postponed until Sept 2021 due to Covid-19 outbreak.Challenger Society 2020 Conference
at SAMS , Oban
6th-10th September, 2021
Registration, and Abstract submission is available on the conference website at https://challenger2020.co.uk